Consumer Data – What Are Companies Collecting and Why?
RADIO INTERVIEW WITH CHANNEL AFRICA – 28 January 2021
There has been a lot of controversy lately about the way consumer data is collected, managed and used. While much of the personal data discussions in the past years has focused on theft and compliance – the start of the year has been taken over by headlines around what it means when applications consumers have signed into suddenly change their terms and conditions.
Ilonka Badenhorst, General Manager at mobile application service regulator WASPA, speaks to Samora Mangezi and unpacks the following:
- Why is consumer data such a commodity and why should consumers care?
- What can consumers do to better control how their data is processed?
- How literate are South African consumers about data security?
- Why regulating the wireless application space becomes important?
- What are some of the common data crimes/cases WASPA comes across on a daily basis?
Listen to the interview here:
Go to the WASPA Press Release Archive.